Sunday, July 22, 2018

We made it!

Well, after a girls night of seeing my much awaited favorite movie Mama Mia 2, (loved it by the way)  and staying up far too late we got off.  Doran was good enough to drive us to the airport with Amelia. Tears flowed by me and can I just say how much I love my kids.  They were meant to be mine all the way, good or bad I love them so much. 
We had a good flight except for the landing, really rough.  We got a text from the Williams saying to text them when we landed.  He is the housing guy and she is the President's secretary.  It was great getting to put faces with whom I've talked to so much.  They told us if the housing didn't work out they'd be glad to help.  Anyway, we walked the wrong way to baggage had to turn around and tramp back.  Got out mountain of luggage and waited for them at the curb.  and waited, I thought I got the message wrong.  But they got help up by a policeman doing his duty but only gave them a warning.  
We got our little car and headed to the North Shore.  

I, knowing my way around went on my way, missed the turn right at the base and Ramon kept saying:  "You're headed to Kahuku!"  then he'd say "you're headed to Makaha!"   I would laugh and say 'I can see the ocean I know where I am going."  Well, little bit later we pull in front of the Snowpuffy place!  I had gone about 1/2 mile further West, we were on the wrong road unless you want a Snowpuffy!  It was soooo crowded!  Cars in the parking lot and across the street.  Crazy.  I hate that everyone knows our special places.  After the Snowpuffy Ramon was okay with my little detour.  But the traffic was crazy busy Saturday afternoon!  Took us forever to go 10 miles.  And the Turtle beach was a nightmare.  I wish all the tourists would go to the Big Island and leave mine alone!

We made it to our apartment and I absolutely love it!  Now if I can just get this husband of mine to go to bed at a reasonable hour all will be okay.  We have a four burner gas stove and the oven does hold a normal cookie sheet if you put it in the long ways!  It is a beautiful setting, the Hancocks are so nice.  I have tons of storage space and it is full of "stuff" everyone has left, like: toaster oven, sewing machine, tons of paper stuff for picnicking, kitchen ware, etc.  Love it.  So blessed.




Our apartment, main floor

The "studio"  a bit messy 

The view...Sunset Beach is on other side of trees



Kitchen - it's got lots of cupboards!

I should have taken pictures after we unpacked not during!

As we started to unload I noticed my suitcase with all my Sunday clothes was missing!  We checked the car, and no suitcase.  We tried calling the airport and TSA lost and found is only open 8:00-2:00!  So we drove back to the airport an hour away, now it's 10:00 p.m. Utah time!  I told Ramon to circle round the airport pickup area because you were not allowed to park and wait.  I jumped out and he drove off.  Just then I realized we were at the local Aloha Airlines and not Delta.  I asked a traffic guy where Delta baggage was and he said about 1/2 mile away!  I said "Oh no" and he promptly told me to take the WIKI WIKI shuttle (it's free), it was just arriving.  I jumped on and told the driver "Delta please."  We drove there and I got off and no one was anywhere around.  I thought, well I'll just have to get my  suitcase, catch the WIKIWIKI and go back to where I was dropped off to find Ramon.  His cell phone stopped working and had no way of communicating. 

So I walked to the turntables, no one around except a nice security cop lady, she didn't know anything.  She told me to go ask a guy who was a long ways away.  I ran over to him and he said  "Dear, go back along the back wall and turn left and walk until you come to the office."  I did and walked and walked.  Got there and saw some bags but no people.  I politely yelled "Hello?"  A voice came out of no where saying "is that you Sister Sanft?"  I said "yes, do you have my suitcase?"  He came out pulling my beloved suitcase.  He said he had called President Bekker (now he knows how dumb I am!) and told him about our suitcase.  I told him he was a wonderful human being.  Then I started back to the road.  Suddenly, I thought how did he know my name, that the suitcase was ours and to call the Mission President.  There was nothing on the suitcase to say we were missionaries.

Then I get to the curb befuddled and ask the traffic cop guy when the next WIKIWIKI was due.  He said any minute.  I look over as this car pulls up and it is Ramon.  He figured I was dropped off at the wrong place, had only been circling 3 times when he saw this old lady dragging a bag to the curb.  Yup, the whole thing only took about 15 minutes.  It was truly a miracle for this tired old lady.  We hadn't eaten, it was now about 11:30 Utah time, so we stopped at Zippy's to have food.  Whew!

Today is Sunday.  After getting 3 hours sleep I was up at 5 local time and ready to go with the Roosters crowing.  We spent another hour putting stuff away and deciding we were staying here!  We went to the Tongan ward at 8:30 which ended up being the Samoan ward that started at 8:00!  We attended that then started back and saw Shahara had texted us about church.  She and her family have been here a week at Turtle Bay.  We drove over there and went in and they decided to go to church with us.  So we then went back to the real Tongan ward at 10:00.  I almost cried it reminded me of my LA wards and all the love I had and have for those sweet friends.  I hope this mission is as wonderful as that was.  What great times we have remembering.  After church we came back to our apartment where I'm writing this, then church again in the Branch at 2:00.  I really hope we are assigned to the Tongan ward.  It felt so good to be around familiar people.  That's our adventure so far.  First miracle happened for us now let's see where the other miracles come!  

I know we are supposed to be here for a reason other than my love of Hawaii.  I will post how we got to this point in another post when I have more time.  For now, Aloha!




No comments:

Post a Comment