Thursday, November 22, 2018

Thanksgiving Thursday November 22, 2018

It's been a very busy week.  Monday we did a FHE with the Mitchell family, once child who is 18 months.  I did a bit of prep work and the darling boy didn't want anything to do with what I had planned.  He did love the Thanksgiving sing along, 2 minutes, over and over again we showed on the computer.  He was very good for prayers, and actually cried when we left after 45 minutes.  We could hear him crying clear to the car.  He was so sweet and they were so happy to have us, in our meager efforts to do a FHE with their little family.

Then we ran to our YSA FHE where we wrote letters of gratitude to someone who immediately came to our minds.  Sweet Elder Chandler wrote us a  note of appreciation, said we were like grandparents he really didn't have.  My note was to Aloha Beckwith, she is simply amazing as our leader of FHE.

Tuesday after our District meetings,  we ran into Costco and Walmart and shopped for Thanksgiving dinner.  We are having ours on Friday at 4:00.  I got permission to have our two Elders and two Sisters to our apartment for Thanksgiving dinner.  I got a free turkey from the local market, along with the rest of the towns and hated to keep taking up space in Peggy's freezer so decided to cook it.  On Thanksgiving we will be having dinner at the PCC.  After FHE  Cody was standing by and I invited him to our house also.

I don't think  I mentioned it, but the new directive from the church is that Elders and Sisters are not to be fed by the members except on Saturdays and Sundays only.  This has been tried in places around the world and found to be much more productive.  Baptisms are up and members are showing remarkable ability in doing missionary work also.  Elder Cook told us about an urgency President Nelson is feeling.  I see more accountability on parents for teaching in the home.  And also, missionary work is taking a step up.  At Christmas we will have over 70 Sisters at the VC.  When we came it was at 38.  The VC will be remodeled in January and we will be the second largest in the world.  The teaching center is where the computers are, and the Sisters reach out through computers to people who have filled out the interest cards.  The teaching center is being enlarged, more and  more Sisters are needed to man the computers and to answer calls.  It is thrilling to be a part of this new effort.

Wednesday. we went into the swap meet with the Seebrings and then on to Hanauma Bay to snorkel.  It was a fun day but a lot of driving for me.  Not a very hot day but I saw "my" fish, in pink, purple and light blue.  Ramon thought maybe he was a sick one but he looked so beautiful.  I am going back with my camera next time to try and get a shot of him.  Pretty cool if I could, I'd have two with different colors.  He's called the Christmas wrasse.
Halona Blowhole



Today we got up and I prepped for tomorrow's dinner by making brine for the turkey, dressing, sweet potatoes, and later I made two pumpkin pies.  I,  also, made mini pecan pie bites to take with us to lunch at the PCC.  We were fed by Junior AhYou and his family, they fed all the senior missionaries and the Sisters at the VC and the 8 Elders we have around us.  They also fed the homeless people in another town.  They cooked 200 Turkeys and furnished everything except salad and dessert.  We all brought enough salads and desserts for everyone to be stuffed.  It was good food.  We are very appreciative of him and his family.
Junior AhYou and his wife
The food!
Ramon sitting next to the Seebrings
Good picture of the Seebrings
We ate early at noon, then came home and I made pies.  After they baked we walked across the street to see what was set up, there is another tournament for the Triple Crown of Surfing starting Sunday.
When we first got there it was all deserted but as we sat and waiting for the sun to set, more and more people came.  It got so crowded!
See that silver car?  We live right down a lane on
the right of the car.

Ramon walking by the trailers for the surfer event

Ramon crossing the street to get to the beach

Sunset on Thanksgiving at SunSet Beach
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  We were so fortunate to be able to visit and skype with all our children today.    Everyone looked good, and the dinners we saw looked like my kids know how to cook.  Proud of them all.

We have so much to be grateful for.  One thing I really am grateful for today is that my children are like yours, all very unique.  I have learned to appreciate each difference and value it.  I love that they love us and show us their love by helping each other when we are not there.  A shout out to you who know who you are!  Thank you.














No comments:

Post a Comment