Friday, September 21, 2018

Thursday

Today we were doing apartment checks,  just two today in Kahuku.  I got up a little early and decided to make cinnamon rolls, in order to take a plate to each apartment of Elders.  We left the house at about 9:45 and within one mile we had a overheated car engine and warming signs beeping and I had to pull over by the fruit stand.  We didn't know what to do, remembering that on Tuesday, two days ago, we had our car checked and they mentioned they had topped off all fluids.  Well, I called the Zone leaders, Elders Collins and Chandler,  and if they were free to come help us.  Luckily, they were our first appointment and were free.

The Elders came and and transferred us and our three plates of rolls.  They took us to our second appointment to check and left us while they ran and bought us some antifreeze.  Our antifreeze container was totally empty.  Grrrr!   We told them we'd start walking if they weren't there by the time we were done.  They weren't and we walked down the hill, it was a nice pleasant walk, not too hot. We were able to see lots of yards and how people live, many asked us if we needed rides.  Kahuku is also predominantly LDS.

The Elders came, dropped us off at our car, Elder Sanft put in the antifreeze and we prayed it would work.  Meanwhile we had called to see if we could get a different car (this one is a piece of junk) and Elder Walker said there were no cars available.  We wondered how we'd make it through the next busy 5 days.

We then drove back to Kahuku to stop by Leilani's waffle truck and give them a plate of cinnamon rolls. We ended up talking to them about miracles for about a half an hour.  Good people.

We came and and prepared to feed these same Elders for dinner.  Meanwhile my doctor called with an appointment for my infusion, Oct 1.  It will have been since July 17 since my last one, a real miracle I've made it this long.  I hope we can get them scheduled now every 4 weeks without trouble.

The Elders came to dinner and brought Nick an investigator we had met previously.  He is a "select eater", so I pulled together some vegetables for him and watermelon.  We HAD chicken enchiladas! I had stopped at the Foodland and bought 3 tomatoes for $5.50 to make salsa and no one ate it but me.  I should have just bought a pint at the Mexican joint in Hale'iwa for $6.00, this homemade cost me at least $12.00.  But when you haven't had homemade in a year.  The tomatoes were so dry I had to blend half of the mixture up to make some juice.  Definitely not fresh tomatoes from my garden!
We hope the car is okay now, it seems fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment